Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Hunger Games Trilogy

The Hunger Games trilogy is an awesome book series by Suzanne Collins and includes The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay. When I read the first one, I didn't realize it was the first of several, so when I got to the end, I was pretty surprised. I went straight to the library to get the others, but unfortunately the third wasn't being published for another six months. It was torture, especially because the end of the second has a huge cliffhanger.


The main premise of the trilogy is in a post-apocalyptic society divided into twelve districts (the thirteenth has supposedly been destroyed), each which produces or manufactures something different. Every year, each district has to send teenaged a boy and girl to the Hunger Games, a live-broadcast television event where the participants must kill or be killed. The winner basically gets a new house and food and money for life. The story follows Katniss Everdeen as she fights for survival both inside and out of the games.


This is a fabulous trilogy of books. For the most part, it is full of action and is quick-paced. It became even more suspenseful when I realized the author wasn't afraid to kill off characters I really liked. I read an article that said Collins began writing this because she thought students should be exposed to the realities of war, and she certainly succeeds here. There is a lot of death, and it is not for younger readers.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you the books shouldn't be read by younger readers. Did she think about the negative affects it could have on society? I think it could also encorage murdering, by writing about teenagers killing each other so they can live very comfotably the rest of their life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm most likely going to watch the movie next month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Hunger Games. :) Mrs. Roberts read them to us in her art classes, and they're creative and super interesting. I'm going to the movie in theaters for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...